ICIR Digital Policy Forums
Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the EU Insurance Sector - Economic, Business and Regulatory Consequences
- COVID-19 virus implications for the EU insurance sector: How is the EU insurance sector affected by the COVID-19 pandemic? Are there long-term implications for financial stability?
- Policy and regulatory measures for the insurance sector: Which measures should be taken to help the insurance sector navigate through the COVID-19 virus pandemic?
- Role of (re)insurance for building resilient economies: What role can (re-)insurance play for rebuilding economic and social resilience, taking account of global risks?
- Global risk management: Can insurance innovation, new risk management solutions and new insurance products based on global health data extend financial protection globally?
Gabriel Bernardino, Chairman, EIOPA
Dr. Gunther Kraut, Head of Epidemic Risk Solutions, MunichRe
Francesco Mazzaferro, Head of the Secretariat of the European Systemic Risk Board (ESRB)
Dr. Klaus Wiener, Chief Economist and Member of the Executive Board, German Insurance Association (GDV)
Dr. Detlef Fechtner, Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Börsen-Zeitung
Insurance Regulation: Towards a Sustainable Solvency II Review? - Managing the Speed of Change
- The EU Green Deal – Insurance on the European Commission’s agenda: Understanding the implications for insurance in the coming years.
- Solvency II review: How can the Solvency II review embrace sustainablility and what changes are needed in the solvency regime to assist insurers in developing the right products for future generations?
- Regulation leadership - Managing the speed of change: the change towards a more sustainable society has two dimensions: 1) The long-term perspective (time dimension): the transition towards (green) sustainability is a long-term process going beyond 2030. When regulation is pushing the process, what are the risks for the insurance sector and consumers? 2) Societal implications: sustainability comes at a price for the consumer. It will affect insurance affordability and liquidity considerations. Is the path to a sustainable environment paved with a higher insurance protection gap and social divide?
- Regulatory risk: Is regulation limiting the innovation power of the industry for developing sustainable solutions?
Olav Jones, Deputy Director-General, Insurance Europe
Dr. Monica Mächler, Member of the Board of Directors, Zurich
Didier Millerot, Head of Unit, Insurance and Pensions, DG FISMA, European Commission
Justin Wray, Acting Head of the Policy Department and Head of the Insurance Policy Unit, EIOPA
Prof. Karel Van Hulle, ICIR, Goethe University
Profitable Sustainable Investments for the Insurance Industry - Green, Blue – Evolving New Opportunities and Risks
- Change of investment behaviour: Is regulation (or social media) pushing the change, or is the insurance industry taking the lead?
- Criteria for sustainable investment: How to distinguish sustainable investments from other investments? Role and risks of a taxonomy?
- Portfolios of the future: Besides ‘green’ - will ‘blue’ (water/energy) be the next wave of investments to support sustainability? What makes a sustainable investment profitable? How will a sustainable investment portfolio look like in the future – what is new? What are the limits of sustainable investment?
- New opportunities and risks: What kind of new risks will emerge from sustainable investments? Can InsurTech contribute to sustainability?
Anna Maria D’Hulster, Member of the Supervisory Board at UNIQA Insurance Group, Member of the Board of Directors at Athora Holdings Ltd
Prof. Dr. Helmut Gründl, Managing Director, ICIR and Chair of Insurance and Regulation, Goethe University
Dr. Frank Grund, Chief Executive Director of Insurance and Pension Funds Supervision, Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin)
Dr. Günther Thallinger, CIO Allianz SE & Chair UN Net-Zero Asset Owner Alliance
Dr. Christian Thimann, CEO, Athora Deutschland
0049 (0) 69 798 33692